Prof. Joel Walters
Fields of interest
bilingualism, pragmatics, language impairments (SLI, aphasia, schizophrenia), sociolinguistics
Joel Walters 972-53-869505 (mobile) Yakinton 10 972-3-531-8238 (office) P.O.B. 1233 972-3-534-7601 (fax) Ma’alot-Tarshiha, ISRAEL email: email@example.com
Academic and Professional Positions Professor 2008-present Dean, Faculty of Humanities 2010-2014 Associate Professor 1991-2008 Chair, Department of English 1987-1991, 2004-2007 Director, English as a Foreign Language 1983-1987 Senior Lecturer 1981-1991 Department of English Bar-Ilan University
Academic Head 2003-2010, 2015-present Western Galilee College Acco
Visiting Scholar 1991-1992 Laboratory of Applied Cognitive Science McGill University
Fulbright-Hays Lecturer 1980-1981 Department of Linguistics Tel Aviv University
Assistant Professor 1977-1980 Educational Psychology University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
Director 1978-1979 Bilingual-Multicultural Education Doctoral Fellowship Program University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
Education Applied Psycholinguistics, Boston University Ed.D., 1978 Department of Linguistics, pre-MA studies,Tel Aviv University 1973-1974 Sociology/Spanish, Dartmouth College A.B., 1971
Awards and Fellowships DAAD Fellowship, Freie-Universitat Berlin Summer 1997 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Univ. Illinois 1978-1979 Title VII Bilingual Education Fellowship 1975-1977 Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude 1971
Funded Research Bilingual SLI and socioeconomic influences 2014-2018 Israel Science Foundation, NIS 180,000 (with S. Armon-Lotem & C. Altman)
Bilingual Specific Language Impairment 2010-2014 Israel Science Foundation, $100,000 (with S. Armon-Lotem)
Language Impairment in a Multilingual Society: Linguistic 2009-2113 Patterns and the Road to Assessment COST Action IS0804, EU17Million, Bar-Ilan share EU1.6M (with S. Armon-Lotem and 20 European research groups)
Language Acquisition as a Window to Social Integration among 2007-2009 Russian Language Minority Children in Germany and Israel BMBF German Ministry of Education, EU168,000 (with S. Armon-Lotem, N. Gagarina & L. Remmenick)
Voices of Child Survivors: Children’s Holocaust Testimonies: 2007-2009 Historical, Linguistic and Educational Perspectives Claims Conference, $100,000 (with B. Cohen, R. Horvath)
ISF-HUJI Workshop on Bilingual SLI February 2009 Hebrew University/ISF, $40,000 (with S. Armon-Lotem)
Specific Language Impairment in Bilingual Children 2003-2007 Israel Science Foundation, $100,000 (with S. Armon-Lotem, J. Fine, E. Saigh-Haddad)
Linguistic indicators of schizophrenia in Russian-Hebrew 2005-2006 Bilinguals (Gonda Brain Sciences Research Center, $13,000) (with J. Fine, Y. Bersudsky)
Children’s Holocaust Testimonies: Historical, Linguistic 2004-2006 and Educational Perspectives Claims Conference, $95,000 (with M. Gillis, B. Cohen)
Language, Mathematics, and Science Literacy among Israeli 2000-2002 PISA+ Alternative Assessment Ministry of Education, NIS1,337,000 (with B. Kramarsky, Y. Wolf, S. Havlin)
Convergence and Divergence in Second Language Acquisition 1998-2000 & Use: An Examination of Immigrant Identities German-Israel Research Foundation, DM370,000 (with B. Spolsky, N. Dittmar)
Unity and Diversity via Multilingualism: Language Planning 1997-2001 for Eritrean Education Netherlands-Israel Research Programme, $149,000 (with S. Kroon, C. Hailemariam)
Revisions Processes in Non-Native Writers 1996-1997 Orot Israel College Research Board, NIS13,000
Negotiation in the Resolution of Hostage Taking Incidents 1993-1994 Bar-Ilan University Research Authority, NIS25,000 (with Y. Wolf)
Studies in Narrative Comprehension 1983-1984 Israel Ministry of Education and Culture, IS746,178
Recall, Inference and Prediction in Reading 1982-1983 Israel Ministry of Absorption, IS45,000
Title VII Doctoral Fellowship Grant Program 1979-1980 U.S. Office of Education, $183,000
Requesting Behavior of Language Minority Children 1978-1979 University of Illinois Research Board, $6,444
Graduate Advising and Mentoring Patricia McCollum, Ph.D. University of Illinois, 1980 (Conversation analysis)
Teresa Rosegrant, Ph.D. University of Illinois, 1980 (Social dominance in preschool boys)
Carmen Coballes-Vega, Ph.D. University of Illinois, 1981 (Bilingual education models)
Elisheva Augarten Barkon, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 1991 (L2 reading comprehension)
David Hanauer, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 1994 (Experiments on poetry categorization)
Bonnie Ellinger, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 1997 (Identity & L2 acquisition among Russian immigrants)
Ora Danino, Ph.D. The Hebrew University, 1999 (Sociolinguistics of writing in the Israeli workplace)
Maria Cernis, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2001 (Experiments in L2 reading comprehension)
Miriam Shlesinger, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2001 (Strategic allocation of working memory and other attentional resources in simultaneous interpreting)
Shimon Baumel, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2002 (Multilingualism among ultra-orthodox Jews)
Chefena Hailemariam, Ph.D. Tilburg University, 2002 (Eritrean education language policy)
Sharon Azaria, Ph.D. The Hebrew University, 2003 (Early literacy among Ethiopian children)
Inbal Regev, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2004 (Codeswitching in academic service encounters)
Julia Burteisen-Festman, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2004 (Lexical production phenomena as evidence for activation and control processes in trilingual lexical retrieval)
Brenda Malkiel, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2005 (Simultaneous interpretation)
Judy Kupersmitt, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2006 (Cross-linguistic study of form-function relations in narrative and expository discourse)
Carmit Altman, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2007 (Language and memory bilingual aging)
Zhanna Burstein-Feldman, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2008 (Identity in Russian immigrant adolescents and parents)
Susie Russak, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University, 2008 (Reading disorders in non-native speakers of English)
Dafna Yitzhaki, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2008 (Multilingualism in Israeli language policy)
Batsheva Keren, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2009 (Social and linguistic variation of Hebrew imperatives)
Rina Raichlin, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2009 (Bilingual codeswitching in Russian-Hebrew preschool children)
Haitham Taha, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2010 (Phonological vs. morphological intervention in Arabic literacy)
Amal Kadry, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2011 (Early lexical acquisition in two dialects of Arabic)
Leor Cohen, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2011 (Metapragmatic functions of identity structure in nsarrative)
Shira Farby, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, 2012 (Processing parasitic gaps and resumptive pronouns in Hebrew)
Yisrael Smith, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, in progress (Bilingual lexical processing: Behavioral and ERP evidence)
Miri Yochanna, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, in progress (Narrative production in English-Hebrew bilingual children)
Aviva Soesman, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan, in progress (Codeswitching as an entry to language impairment in bilingual preschoolers)
Susan Holzman, M.A. Bar-Ilan University, 1986 (L2 reading comprehension experiments)
Sara Morgenstern, M.A. Bar-Ilan University, 1986 (Lexical judgment experiments)
Hagit Heimer, M.A. Bar-Ilan University, 1996 (Cognitive linguistics)
Zhanna Feldman, M.A. Bar-Ilan University, 1997 (Identity in advanced learners of Hebrew)
Zohara Meshali, M.A. Bar-Ilan University, 2001 (Ethiopian immigrant identity narratives)
Alice Apelbaum, M.A. Bar-Ilan University, 2002 (Early literacy in native Hebrew speakers)
Sharon Calif-Moshowitz, M.A. Bar-Ilan University, 2002 (Morphological awareness in reading)
Amal Kadry, M.A., Bar-Ilan University, 2003 (Adoloscent literacy in Arabic native speakers)
Olga Gupol, M.A., Bar-Ilan University, 2004 (Russian discourse markers)
Nadya Kogan, M.A., Bar-Ilan University 2004 (Early literacy in Russian-Hebrew bilinguals)
Rina Raichlin, M.A., Bar-Ilan University 2004 (Codeswitching in Russian-Hebrew preschoolers)
Esther Darvashvili, M.A., Bar-Ilan, 2006 (Autobiographical memory in Russian-Hebrew bilinguals)
Irena Tabachnik, M.A., Bar-Ilan, 2006 (Autobiographical memory in Russian-Hebrew bilinguals)
Dori Braude, M.A., Tel Aviv U, 2008 (Bilingualism and Specific Language Impairment)
Israel Ministry of Science Post-doctoral Fellowship to Dr. Elinor Saiegh-Haddad, 2000-2001
Israel Ministry of Science Graduate Fellowship to Alice Apelbaum, 2000-2001
VATAT Post-doctoral Fellowship to Dr. Galina Gordishevsky, 2007-2008
Israel Ministry of Science Graduate Fellowship to Haitham Taha, 2008-2009
Professional and Public Service
Academic Council – Western Galilee College, Acco 1999-present
Academic Council – Shaanan College, Kiryat Shmuel 1999-present
Academic Council – Orot Israel College, Elkana 1998-2000
Chair, Israeli Ministry of Education Committee for English 1998-1999
Member, Israeli Ministry of Education Committee for English 1998-2000
Member, Advisory Council, Yeshivat Hesder, Acco 2005-present
Member, ‘Eliashiv’ Ethiopian Immigrant Association Board 2006-present
Applied Psycholinguistics Bilingualism: Language and Cognition International Journal of Bilingualism Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism Language Learning MacMillan/Palgrave
ISF (Israel Science Foundation) Canadian Language and Literacy Research Network NSF (US National Science Foundation)
Walters, J. 2005. Bilingualism: The Sociopragmatic-Psycholinguistic Interface. London: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
Cooper, R.L., Shohamy, E. & Walters, J. (eds.) 2001. New Perspectives and Issues in Educational Language Policy. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Journal issue (editor)
Walters, J. 1981. Special issue on Deference and Politeness in Second Language Use International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 27.
1. Walters, J. & Zatorre, R. 1978. Laterality differences for word identification in bilinguals. Brain and Language, 6, 158-167.
2. Walters, J. 1979. Strategies for requesting in Spanish and English: Structural similarities and pragmatic differences. Language Learning, 29, 277-293.
3. Walters, J. 1980. Grammar, meaning, and sociocultural appropriateness in second language acquisition. Canadian Journal of Psychology, 34, 337-345.
4. Walters, J. 1981. Introduction (Special issue on Sociolinguistics of Deference and Politeness) International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 27, 7-9.
5. Walters, J. 1981. Variation in the requesting behavior of bilingual children. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 27, 77-92.
6. Walters, J. 1981. Two case studies of language impaired bilingual children. Bilingual Resources, 5, 3, 1-21.
7. Walters, J. 1982. The Anglos are coming, the Anglos are coming: English language instruction in Israeli schools. Jewish Education, 50, 1, 16-21.
8. Zisenwine, D. & Walters, J. 1982. Jewish identity: Israel and the American adolescent. Forum, 45, 79-85.
9. Spolsky, B. & Walters, J. 1985. Jewish styles of worship: A conversational analysis. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 56, 51-65.
10. Walters, J. & Wolf, Y. 1986. Language proficiency, text content and order effects in narrative recall. Language Learning, 36, 47-64.
11. Walters, J. 1988. Review of P. Carrell, J. Devine & R. Eskey (eds.) Integrative Approaches to Second Language Reading. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. TESOL Quarterly, 22, 4, 662-663.
12. Wolf, Y., Walters, J. & Holzman, S. 1989. Integration of semantic and structural constraints in narrative comprehension. Discourse Processes, 12, 149-167.
13. Walters, J. 1990. Philosophical views of applied linguistics. Issues in Applied Linguistics, 2, 160-161.
14. Walters, J. & Wolf, Y. 1992. Metalinguistic integration under conditions of uncertainty: second language, metaphor and idiom comprehension. Quantitative Linguistics, 49, 1-101.
15. Wolf, Y., Battash, Y., Addad, M. & Walters, J. 1992. Valuation of moral information by juvenile delinquents: a psycho-sociological perspective. International Journal of Group Tensions, 22, 39-62.
16. Wolf, Y., Olenick-Shemesh, D., Addad, M., Green, D. & Walters, J. 1995. Personal and situational factors in drug use as perceived by kibbutz youth. Adolescence, 30, 909-930.
17. Wolf, Y., Friedlander, M., Addad, M., Silfen, P. & Walters, J. 1995. Moral judgment among incarcerated offenders from psychotherapeutic backgrounds. Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 39, 242-257.
18. Wolf, Y., Walters, J. & Landau, E. 1995. Negotiation in the resolution of hostage taking. Acta Criminologica, 8, 23-26.
19. Wolf, Y., Ron, N. & Walters, J. 1996. Modularity in moral judgment by policemen. Policing and Society, 6, 37-52.
20. Wolf, Y. & Walters, J. 1996. Communication with hostage takers: blame schema as a framework for persuasion. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 4, 39-44.
21. Walters, J. & Wolf, Y. 1996. Language awareness in non-native writers': Judgments of need for revision: the role of syntax, lexicon and cohesion. Language Awareness, 5, 1-23.
22. Hailemariam, C., Kroon, S. & Walters, J. 1999. Multilingualism and Nation Building: Language and Education in Eritrea. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 20, 6, 475-493.
23. Wolf, Y. & Walters, J. 2001. Definite articles in the context of literary and scientific writings. Journal of Pragmatics, 33, 7, 965-967.
24. Oded, B. & Walters, J. 2001. Deeper processing for better EFL reading comprehension. System, 29, 3, 357-370.
25. Hailemariam, C., Kroon, S. & Walters, J. 2003. Language diversity, policy, and practice in Eritrea. Journal of Eritrean Studies, 2, 77-89.
26. Bersudsky, Y., Fine, J., Gorjaltsan, I., Chen, O. & Walters, J. 2005. Schizophrenia and second language acquisition. Progress in Neuro-psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 29, 535-542.
27. Armon-Lotem, S., Adam, G., Blass, A., Harel, E., LItt, R., Saiegh-Haddad & Walters, J. 2008. Verb inflections as an indicator of specific language impairment in bilinguals: Influences of task and crosslinguistic differences. Safa v’Moax 8 (Language and Brain 8) (Hebrew).
28. Armon-Lotem, Sh., Gagarina, N., Altman, C., Burstein-Feldman, Zh., Gordishevsky, G., Gupol, O. & J. Walters. 2008. Language acquisition as a window to social integration among Russian language minority children in Israel. Israel Studies in Language and Society, 1, 1, 155-177.
ערמון-לוטם, ש. וולטרס, י. 2010. השפעתם של משתני רקע פנימיים וחיצוניים על היכולות הלשוניות בשפת האם ובשפה השניה אצל ילדי גן דו לשוניים ששפתם הראשונה רוסית. הד האולפן החדש, 97, 52-63.
30. Saiegh-Haddad, E., Kogan, N., & Walters, J. 2010. Linguistics factors in phonological awareness of Russian-Hebrew sequential bilingual children. Reading and Writing, 23, 359-384.
31. Armon-Lotem, S., N. Gagarina & J. Walters. 2011. The impact of internal and external factors on linguistic performance in the home language and in L2 among Russian-Hebrew and Russian-German preschool children, Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 1, 3, 291-318.
32. Iluz-Cohen, P. & Walters, J. 2012. Telling stories in two Languages: Narratives of bilingual preschool children with typical and impaired language. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 15, 58-74.
33. Altman, C., Burstein-Feldman, Zh., Yitzhaki, D., Armon Lotem, Sh. & Walters, J. 2014. Family language policies, reported language use and proficiency in Russian – Hebrew bilingual children in Israel. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 35(3), 216-234.
34. Meir, M., Walters, J. & Armon-Lotem, S. forthcoming. Disentangling SLI and bilingualism using sentence repetition tasks: the impact of L1 and L2 properties. International Journal of Bilingualism.
35. Altman, C., Gil, M. & Walters, J. forthcoming. Disentangling bilingualism and aphasia in bilingual people with conduction and anomic aphasia. Bulletin Aphasie et Domaines Associes.
36. Smirnova, D., Walters, J., Fine, J., Muchnik-Rozanov, Y., Paz, M., Lerner, V., Belmaker, R.H. & Y. Bersudsky. 2015. Second language as a compensatory resource for maintaining verbal fluency in bilingual immigrants with schizophrenia. Neuropsychologia. doi:10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2015.06.037
Book chapters and proceedings
37. Walters, J. 1979. The role of contextual factors in first and second language acquisition. In D.R. Omark & J.G. Erickson (eds.) Communication Assessment of the Bilingual Bicultural Child: Issues and Guidelines. Baltimore, MD: University Park Press, pp. 221-247.
38. Walters, J. 1979. The perception of politeness in English and Spanish. In J Schachter, K. Perkins & C. Yorio (eds.) On TESOL '79: The Learner in Focus. Washington, D.C., pp. 288-296.
39. Walters, J. 1979. Language variation in the assessment of communicative competence. In R. Silverstein (ed.) Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Frontiers in Language Proficiency and Dominance Testing. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University, pp. 293-305.
40. Fraser, B., Rintell, E. & Walters, J. 1980. An approach to conducting research on the acquisition of pragmatic competence in a second language. In D. Larsen-Freeman (ed.) Discourse Analysis in Second Language Research. Rowley, MA: Newbury House, pp. 75-91.
41. Walters, J. 1981. The approach of philosophers, linguists and psycholinguists to the study of context. In Sh. Blum-Kulka, Y. Tobin & R. Nir (eds.) Studies in Discourse Analysis. Jerusalem: Hebrew University (Hebrew), pp. 17-50.
42. Walters, J. & Wolf, Y. 1988. Integration of first language material in second language comprehension. In J. Fine (ed.), Second Language Discourse. Norwood, NJ: Ablex, pp.193-205.
43. Wolf, Y. & Walters, J. 1988. Second language comprehension processes: theories and methods. In J. Fine (ed.), Second Language Discourse. Norwood, NJ: Ablex, pp. 169-191.
44. Dittmar, N., Spolsky, B. & Walters, J. 1997. Grammaticalization and social convergence in second language acquisition. In R. Hickey & S. Puppel (eds.) Feschschrift for Jacek Fisiak. Berlin: deGruyter, pp. 1713-1732.
45. Dittmar, N., Spolsky, B. & Walters, J. 1998. Language and identity in immigrants language acquisition and use: A framework for integrating sociological, psychological and linguistic data. In V. Regan (ed.) Contemporary Approaches to Second Language Acquisition in Social Context. Dublin: University College Press, pp. 124-136.
46. Cooper, R.L., Shohamy, E. & Walters, J. (eds.) 2001. Spolsky’s educational linguistics. In R.L. Cooper, E. Shohamy, & J. Walters. (eds.) New Perspectives and Issues in Educational Language Policy. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp. 1-4.
47. Walters, J. 2001. Socio-pragmatic processing in bilingual production and attrition. In J. Klatter-Folmer & P. Van Avermaet (eds.) Theories on maintenance and loss of minority languages. Towards a more integrated explanatory framework. Munster/New York: Waxmann Verlag, pp. 83-140.
48. Walters, J. 2005. Bilingualism as matchmaker: Towards a marriage of sociopragmatic and psycholinguistic research. In S. Marmaridou, K. Nikiforidou & E. Antonopoulou (eds.) Reviewing Linguistic Thought: Converging Trends for the 21st Century. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, pp. 327-346.
49. Roston, M & Walters, J. 2007. The English Department: Humanities and science under the same umbrella. In D, Schwartz (ed.) Bar-Ilan University: From Concept to Practice, Volume I. Ramat Gan: Bar-Ilan University Press, pp. 389-397 (Hebrew).
50. Walters, J. 2008. Sprache und Identität im mehrsprachigen Israel (Indigenous and immigrant Identities in multilingual Israel). In J. Limbach (ed.) Macht der Sprache: Munich: Goethe Institute.
51. Armon-Lotem, Sh., Danon, G. & Walters, J. 2008. The use of prepositions by bilingual SLI children: The relative contribution of representation and processing. In A. Gavarró & M. João Freitas (eds.) Proceedings of GALA 2007. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, pp. 41-46.
52. Armon-Lotem, Sh., Adam, G., & Walters, J. 2008. Verb inflections as indicators of bilingual SLI: Task effects and Cross-Linguistic Differences Proceedings of the Reading Child Language Seminar.
53. Burstein-Feldman, Z., Epstein, A., Kheimetz, N., Kopeliovitz, Sh., D. Yitzhaki & Walters, J. 2010. Israeli Sociolinguistics. In M. Ball & N. Muller (eds.) Handbook of Sociolinguistics. London: Routledge.
54. Armon-Lotem, S., & Walters, J. 2010. An approach to differentiating bilingualism and language impairment. In J. Guendouzi, F. Loncke & M. Williams (eds.) The Handbook of Psycholinguistic & Cognitive Processes: Perspectives in Communication Disorders. London: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
55. Armon-Lotem, Sh., Gordishevsky, G. & J. Walters. 2010. Instructive bilingualism: Prepositions in the Hebrew of bilingual children with SLI. Language Acquisition and Development: Proceedings of GALA 2009, 1-12.
56. Neumann-Werth, Y., Altman, C. & J. Walters. 2010. Codeswitching and discourse markers in bilingual aphasia: Indication of impairment or fluency? Academy of Aphasia 2010. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 6 (2010) 204–205.
57. Armon-Lotem, Sh., Adam, G., Blass, A., Fine, J., Harel, E., Saiegh-Haddad, E. & J. Walters. 2011. Verb inflections as indicators of Bilingual SLI: qualitative vs. quantitative measurements. In M. Leikin, Y. Tobin & M. Schwartz (eds.), Current Issues in Bilingualism: Cognitive and Socio-Linguistic Perspectives, (pp. 179-200). Berlin: Springer.
58. Altman, C., Gil, M. & Walters, J. 2012. Language Choice in Bilingual Aphasia: Memory and Emotions. In M. Gitterman, M. Goral & L.K. Obler (eds.), Aspects of Multilingual Aphasia (pp. 171-186). Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
59. Altman, C., Schrauf, R. & Walters, J. 2012. Crossovers and codeswitching in the investigation of immigrant autobiographical memory. In L. Isurin & J. Altarriba (eds.), Memory, language, and bilingualism: Theoretical and applied approaches.(pp. 211-235) Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
60. Gagarina, N., Klop, D., Kunnari, S., Tantele, K., Välimaa, T., Balčiūnienė, I., Bohnacker, U. & Walters, J. 2012. MAIN: Multilingual Assessment Instrument for Narratives. ZAS Papers in Linguistics, 1-135.
61. Abutbul-Oz, H., Armon-Lotem, S., & Walters, J. (2012). Bilingual Parents Questionnaire (BIPAQ). Ramat Gan: Bar-Ilan University.
62. Armon-Lotem, S., Altman, C. Burstein-Feldman, Zh., & J. Walters. 2013. Sociolinguistic aspects of the language of immigrant Hebrew-speaking children. In S. Bolozky, G. Khan, G. Rendsburg, A. Rubin, O. Schwarzwald & T. Zewi (eds.) Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics. Boston/Leiden: Brill.
63. Armon-Lotem, Sh., Joffe, S., Oz-Abutbul, H., Altman, C., Walters, J. (in press). Ethno-linguistic identity, language exposure and language acquisition in bilingual preschool children from English and Russian- speaking backgrounds. In Th. Gruter & J. Paradie (Eds.). Input and Experience in Bilingual Development. TILAR Series, John Benjamins.
64. Yitzhaki, D., Altman, C., Feldman-Burstein, Zh., Cohen, L. & Walters, J. (2013). Indigenous and immigrant identities in multilingual Israel: Insights from focus groups and discourse analysis. In I. Du Bois, & N. Baumgartner (eds.) Multilingual identities: New global perspectives on immigrant discourse. Frankfurt/New York: Peter Lang Publishing (pp. 137-172).
65. Walters, J., Armon-Lotem, S., Altman, C., Topaj, N. & Gagarina, N. 2014. Language Proficiency and Social Identity in Russian-Hebrew and Russian-German Preschool Children In R.K. Silbereisen, Y. Shavit & P.F. Titzmann (eds.) The Challenges of Diaspora Migration in Today’s Societies – Interdisciplinary Perspectives from Research in Israel and Germany (pp 45-62). London: Ashgate.
66. Gagarina, N. Armon-Lotem, S. Altman, C., Burstein-Feldman, Z., Klassert, A. Topaj, N., Golcher, F., & Walters, J. 2014. 4 Age, Input Quantity and their Effect on Linguistic Performance in the Home and Societal Language among Russian-German and Russian-Hebrew Preschool Children. In R.K. Silbereisen, Y. Shavit & P.F. Titzmann (eds.) The Challenges of Diaspora Migration in Today’s Societies – Interdisciplinary Perspectives from Research in Israel and Germany (pp 63-82). London: Ashgate.
67. Gagarina, N., Klop, D., Kunnari, S., Tantele, K., Välimaa, T., Balčiūnienė, I., Bohnacker, U. & Walters, J. 2015. Assessment of narrative abilities in bilingual children. In S. Armon-Lotem, J. de Jong & N. Meir (eds.) Methods for assessing multilingual children: Disentangling bilingualism from language impairment. Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
Applied Linguistics Language Variation
Bilingualism Linguistics and Law
Bilingualism and Pragmatics Pragmatics and Cognition
Bilingual Codeswitching Pragmatics and Second Language Acquisition
Child Language Psycholinguistics of Reading
Discourse Analysis English Composition
Experimental Psycholinguistics Psycholinguistics of Written Communication
Introduction to Linguistics Research Design and Methodology
Introduction to Psycholinguistics Second Language Acquisition
Language and Aging Sociolinguistics
Language and Identity Writing in a Second Language