Applications are subject to an initial screening by the Department's Admissions Committee, whose decisions are based on the applicant's academic qualifications and letters of recommendation. The final decision on these matters is made by the University PhD Committee on the basis of recommendations from the Department and on a minimum average grade of 87 in their MA dgree.
It is a good idea to consult with a departmental advisor prior to application.
Each applicant is required to apply separately to the University PhD Committee, which has its own procedures and forms, and to the English Literature & Linguistics Department. The procedure is as follows:
1. Every applicant must send the following documents directly to the Department:
- An up-to-date CV
- An academic writing sample (thesis, seminar paper)
- Transcripts from previous academic studies
- Two letters of recommendation from people who are qualified to evaluate the applicant's academic performance (preferably mailed directly to the departmental office)
These materials should be sent via email attachment or regular post:
Department of English Literature and Linguistics
Ramat Gan 52900
english.dept (at) mail.biu.ac.il
After review of these materials, successful candidates may be invited for an interview with a member of the Department's Admissions Committee.
2. PhD Committee application procedure
If you are a foreign applicant and/or if you do not speak Hebrew, please contact the English Literature & Linguistics Department and we will gladly assist you through the PhD Committee application procedure.
For more information on the PhD in literature, click here.
For more information on the PhD in linguistics, click here.